Global Recycling Day is very important when it comes to thinking about the Saskatoon Afforestation Areas. Members of the public, South West Off Leash Recreation Area dog walkers, the Stewards and Stakeholders of the Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area, The Fatlanders Fat Tire Brigade, the Friends of the Saskatoon Afforestation Areas Inc. all have come out to the Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area and to George Genereux Urban Regional Park for “Clean Green Community Scene” volunteer clean ups to restore these urban regional parks to amazing winter wonderland green spaces which are enjoyed all year around.
Recycling is so, so very important when you see what was collected during the various clean up days. There were toys which would have been so much appreciated by another family. Clothing was discarded in the urban regional park which could have been put to much better use. Very environmentally hazardous items were discarded like flammable oil and tires which are very disastrous in a greenspace. Furniture would have been much better displayed in someone’s home rather than being ruined by ticks, rain, mice, and other vermin in the forest.
Did you know the City of Saskatoon has some amazing recycling programs?
We can compost at the compost areas in town.
SARCAN has newspaper and cardboard depots
Citizens can recycle paint, and electronics at SARCAN along with their bottles, and cans.
Residents can take in clothing, toys, household or garage items to a number of thrift stores
Furniture is welcome at many thrift and second hand stores also
Metal appliances can be turned in for cash
Did you know that the City of Saskatoon landfill also has an eco-centre? Used oil, antifreeze, oil filters and diesel exhaust fluid can make use of the eco-centre
The City of Saskatoon has arranged an amazing landfill so the residents do not get typhoid and diptheria! And we should use it rather than the environment.
The City of Saskatoon also collaborates with Community Associations for spring/fall community clean ups to help residents if they see litter accumulating in the neighbourhood which is amazing for sure. Cleaning up their parks, and streets, and alleyways is a great way to have a safe and healthy neighbourhood for our children to grow up in.
Do your part! Do your part on March 18, Global Recycling Day, and every day
Donate clothes and household items to Goodwill!
Keeping the trash out of the woods.
Consider our wetlands, our rivers, our drinking water
We have forgotten how to be good guests, how to walk lightly on the earth as its other creatures do.Barbara Ward
The Winter Staycation Take It Outside Challenges continue!!! Today take a picture of the bag of trash you pick up in the afforestation area while out in the forest. Email the picture in to be eligible for our prize draw!!! Email another amazing way to reduce, reuse and recycle! What was forgotten in the list above?
Facebook Group Page: Users of the George Genereux Urban Regional Park
Facebook: StBarbeBaker Afforestation Area
Facebook for the non profit Charity Friends of the Saskatoon Afforestation Areas Inc. FriendsAreas
Facebook group page : Users of the St Barbe Baker Afforestation Area
Facebook: South West OLRA
Twitter: St Barbe Baker Charity Twitter:FriendsAreas
Please help protect / enhance your afforestation areas, please contact the Friends of the Saskatoon Afforestation Areas Inc. (e-mail / e-transfers )Support the afforestation areas with your donation or membership ($20.00/year). Please donate by paypal using the e-mail friendsafforestation AT gmail.com, or by using e-transfers Please and thank you! Your donation and membership is greatly appreciated. Members e-mail your contact information to be kept up to date! Canada Helps
- For directions as to how to drive to “George Genereux” Urban Regional Park
- For directions on how to drive to Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area
- For more information:
- Blairmore Sector Plan Report; planning for the Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area, George Genereux Urban Regional Park and West Swale and areas around them inside of Saskatoon city limits
- NEW P4G District Official Community Plan
- Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada north of Cedar Villa Road, within city limits, in the furthest south west area of the city. 52° 06′ 106° 45′
- Part SE 23-36-6 – Afforestation Area – 241 Township Road 362-A
- Part SE 23-36-6 – SW Off-Leash Recreation Area (Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area ) – 355 Township Road 362-A
- S ½ 22-36-6 Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area (West of SW OLRA) – 467 Township Road 362-A
- NE 21-36-6 “George Genereux” Afforestation Area – 133 Range Road 3063
- Wikimapia Map: type in Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area
- Google Maps South West Off Leash area location pin at parking lot
- Web page: https://stbarbebaker.wordpress.com
- Where is the Richard St. Barbe Baker Afforestation Area? with map
- Where is the George Genereux Urban Regional Park (Afforestation Area)?with map
United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration
- Use the UN Decade’s Visual Identity
- Make it your own
- Spread the word about the UN Decade
- Let’s Bring Back Forests
- Let’s Green Our Cities
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.Margaret Mead
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.Chief Seattle